Sunday, October 4, 2015

seasons

I've been thinking a lot lately about seasons.
www.inthelittleredhouse.blogspot.com
Summer has slowly faded away (my heart is still breaking a little), and we've been left with crisp air, chilly mornings, and sweaters and boots strung out all over the house. The mountains are burning up in reds and yellows, I've been waking often to rain, and we've had our first dusting of snow up on our favorite peaks.

But these aren't the seasons that have been on my mind.

These last two months of school have been a rough adjustment for out little family, I'm not going to lie. We are all constantly moving in opposite directions--I feel like I am flying though my weeks completely out of control--limbs flailing in all directions, uncertain of what is around the next corner (and there are just. so. many. corners!)

I was laughing at myself last week thinking of how I used to make LITERALLY almost everything we ate, from scratch. EVERYTHING! Some of you probably remember that too... YogurtAlmond milk! English Muffins! Who WAS that person?! Certainly it wasn't the same tired lady who slops together nachos once a week for dinner?

I used to run several times a week and practice yoga on the days I didn't run--always working to strengthen mind and body. I'm now happy to get a run in ONCE a week, and haven't been to yoga in an actual studio in over a year--my hips are paying the price.

I want to snuggle up with my babies, and watch movies and make cookies while it rains, and read the BFG with all different voices. I want my house to be picked up, and laundry washed and folded every day. I want to talk to Robby about life and things that are funny, and not just send quick kissy-faced texts when I have an extra minute.

I want it ALL.....and it's not working out that way. As we've been trying to adjust, I've been feeling down--I just can't do it all....not even close. And it's a hard realization, let me tell you. But these last two weeks I've made it my goal to see all the good that is happening within the chaos. It's pretty amazing, that once you start looking for something, you can always find it....imagine that.

Guess what I've found?.....Life is GOOD. It came to my attention that my kids have no idea how chaotic it is--they love school, soccer, they think having nachos and pancakes for dinner all the time is the best thing ever. They are becoming more and more independent and smart as we all take on more responsibilities at home.....what amazing little people they are....and they are figuring it out all on their own (and maybe sometimes they pretend they are the boxcar children....oh well). Just when I am feeling terrible about not helping Jonah with his book report he's like, "don't worry mom, I'm all done". And then I turn around and Lucy is frying eggs for breakfast. They've got this. We've got this.

I am finally figuring out how I need to organize my time, making sure there is always enough for playing and spending time together on the weekends--and they get my 100% undivided attention--we make the most of every single minute, let me tell you. I am doing my best to get rid of all the unnecessary things in life--cutting the fat--so my energy is not wasted on things that don't matter.

We had our time--our season--to take things slow, and now we are in a new season. I'm learning how to embrace it, how to run with it, and how to love it. I'm buttoning up my sweater, slipping into my boots, and stepping outside into the chilly morning air.
www.inthelittleredhouse.blogspot.com
www.inthelittleredhouse.blogspot.comwww.inthelittleredhouse.blogspot.comwww.inthelittleredhouse.blogspot.comwww.inthelittleredhouse.blogspot.comwww.inthelittleredhouse.blogspot.com


***

and as long as we are talking about seasons, I will share a very cinnamony pumpkiny and fallish recipe. Perfect for Sunday mornings in pjs.
Whole Wheat Pumpkin Muffins // the little red house blog

Whole Wheat Pumpkin Muffins // the little red house blog


Whole Wheat Pumpkin and Zucchini Muffins
Naturally sweetened with bananas and maple syrup. 
Made with whole wheat flour, flax,chia, and hemp seeds for a protein boost.



1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
2 cups pumpkin puree

1 cup shredded zucchini
1/2 cup maple syrup
2 tsp Mexican vanilla (I like THIS one)
3 very ripe bananas, mashed
2 eggs
1/2 cup-1 cup dark chocolate chips
1/2 cup-1 cup chopped pecans
1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup hemp seeds
1/4 cup ground flax
1/4 cup chia seeds
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Grease muffin tins. Combine all dry ingredients and mix. In a separate bowl, combine coconut oil, pumpkin, zucchini, syrup, and vanilla--mix together. Mash in bananas. Mix in eggs until thoroughly combined. Dump in chocolate chips and slowly add in dry ingredients, a little at a time, until just mixed in. Do not over mix. Spoon into muffin tins (mixture will be thick) and place on bottom rack of oven, and bake for 20-25 minutes for regular muffins or 16-20 minutes for mini muffins. Muffins will be soft but a toothpick inserted into the center will come out clean when they are done.
enjoy!

More fall baking:


11 comments:

Liz said...

This is so beautiful - your words, your images, your spirit! Thank you for sharing and sending positive energy to you in this busy season of life.

Unknown said...

Cling to the One who does not change like the shifting shadows! The Creator of all that awesome beauty in Utah!

Kasey said...

We're all winging it, and you're doing a great job!

Sarah Beth said...

All I could think when you said you feel like you're running around, arms flailing, is you running through your woods doing a Phoebe run from Friends. And that put a smile on my face, and made my Monday just that much better. So thanks for that.

Kelly said...

lifted my spirits and brought tears to my eyes.
your photography, your words, your spirit - the perfect daily pick-me up. Beautiful!

petite+grand said...

Thank you! I am on the count down (3 months) until I have a backpack strapped to me at all times!!! I also hope to remember that there are seasons to life and that my kids are learning different things through each one! Love, Jenny {Petiteandprim.com}

Paige Holley said...

I loved this post SO much!! And I might have teared up a bit while I read it because this is exactly how I feel too! I'm finishing up my last semester this fall and totally can relate to the chaos that comes with being a mom and a full time student. My new motto is quality over quantity. I realize that I can no longer be with them at every school event or make a great dinner every night (its burritos and pancakes for us most nights) but when I am with them, I try to really be with them. Good luck with everything!

Anonymous said...

So *how* are you getting by? I struggle with this all.the.time.... my husband and I both work full time, daughter in school/day care. I want our weekends to be for adventures and quality time, not dusting and scrubbing floors. Are you outsourcing some of the "fat" you've trimmed (totally awesome if you are - only a few will judge you. ;) I myself will just be jealous). --kristin

sheena said...

@kristin....I WISH I could outsource all of that crap! Sadly no.....the "fat" I'm talking about is just letting go of stuff that we don't need--not necessarily "bad" stuff, just really cutting down. Like NOT making everything from scratch or trying new recipes--just looking for quick meals, not volunteering in the kids classrooms (not a bad thing, just not where my time allows me right now), not worrying about my house that still doesn't have pictures on the walls (we moved in May....whoops), letting go and *trying* not to stress that my house will not be perfectly clean, and just telling myself I cannot possibly do it all....which is hard, when it seems like everyone else is somehow pulling it off. Just stuff like that..... Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the response! Your pics, experiences and ATTITUDE are all inspiring! :) Keep on keepin' on, mama! -kristin

Anonymous said...

LEGIT FULLZ & TOOLS STORE

Hello to All !

We are offering all types of tools & Fullz on discounted price.
If you are in search of anything regarding fullz, tools, tutorials, Hack Pack, etc
Feel Free to contact

***CONTACT 24/7***
**Telegram > @leadsupplier
**ICQ > 752822040
**Skype > Peeterhacks
**Wicker me > peeterhacks

"SSN LEADS/FULLZ AVAILABLE"
"TOOLS & TUTORIALS AVAILABLE FOR HACKING, SPAMMING,
CARDING, CASHOUT, CLONING, SCRIPTING ETC"

**************************************
"Fresh Spammed SSN Fullz info included"
>>SSN FULLZ with complete info
>>CC With CVV (vbv & non vbv) Fullz USA
>>FULLZ FOR SBA, PUA & TAX RETURN FILLING
>>USA I.D Photos Front & Back
>>High Credit Score fullz (700+ Scores)
>>DL number, Employee Details, Bank Details Included
>>Complete Premium Info with Relative Info

***************************************
COMPLETE GUIDE FOR TUTORIALS & TOOLS

"SPAMMING" "HACKING" "CARDING" "CASH OUT"
"KALI LINUX" "BLOCKCHAIN BLUE PRINTS" "SCRIPTING"
"FRAUD BIBLE"

"TOOLS & TUTORIALS LIST"
=>Ethical Hacking Ebooks, Tools & Tutorials
=>Bitcoin Hacking
=>Kali Linux
=>Fraud Bible
=>RAT
=>Keylogger & Keystroke Logger
=>Whatsapp Hacking & Hacked Version of Whatsapp
=>Facebook & Google Hacking
=>Bitcoin Flasher
=>SQL Injector
=>Premium Logs (PayPal/Amazon/Coinbase/Netflix/FedEx/Banks)
=>Bitcoin Cracker
=>SMTP Linux Root
=>Shell Scripting
=>DUMPS with pins track 1 and 2 with & without pin
=>SMTP's, Safe Socks, Rdp's brute
=>PHP mailer
=>SMS Sender & Email Blaster
=>Cpanel
=>Server I.P's & Proxies
=>Viruses & VPN's
=>HQ Email Combo (Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, MSN, AOL, etc.)

*Serious buyers will always welcome
*Price will be reduce in bulk order
*Discount offers will gives to serious buyers
*Hope we do a great business together

===>Contact 24/7<===
==>Telegram > @leadsupplier
==>ICQ > 752822040
==>Skype > Peeterhacks
==>Wicker me > peeterhacks